Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Gratitude from Massachusetts / Gratitud desde Massachusetts


by Marc Sherwin Roque sscc

Very Warm Greetings from Massachusetts! As I begin to reflect on my one month experience here in our East Coast Community, I would like to first express my deepest and sincere appreciation to you (Fr Lane Akiona) and the Members of the Provincial Government for allowing me to spend a month here in Massachusetts.

It has been an amazing experience of learning our early and humble history of our Congregation in the US and to also hear the vocation stories of our retired brothers. It was a blessing to join them in the breaking of the bread during the Eucharist and sharing a meal at the dinner table, everyday was truly life giving. Each brother welcomed me and made me feel right at home. That also includes visiting our deceased brothers in our cemetery here in our front yard, it was nice to go and say a prayer everyday in the cemetery and to give thanks to God for the 90+ brothers who are buried there. 

It was great to visit all three of our parishes and to talk to many of the parishioners here in the Fairhaven-New Bedford area. My heart was overfilled with joy whenever parishioners would tell me how much the Sacred Hearts Fathers impacted their lives, from growing up with the Fathers to seeing their children getting their sacraments from our Priests...the gratefulness from the parishioners was very awe-inspiring. On a side note, I couldn't resist but...there was a Rosary-Making group at St. Mary's Parish and I just had to drop in and make rosaries with them. They were really inspired by my Rosary ministry and experiences in Fiji, and it is a good feeling that I am now included in their group prayer intentions. 

I do have to admit, I did experience some heartache during my stay here. It is tough for me to witness the fragile state of our retired brothers here. I understand that this is just part of life and everybody eventually grows old, but it’s tough seeing the individuals who served and led our Province become so fragile. With that experience, I hope and pray that Congregation will continue to provide much needed love and care towards our retired Brothers who have served our Province well.  

Overall, my experience here has been truly life giving. Special thanks to Father Stephen Banjare, Father Columban, and Father Maiki for guiding me throughout my stay. During this past weekend, I was truly honored to have been asked by Father Maiki to deliver the Gospel Reflection for Sunday's readings, to join him in blessing the people from diseases (Feast of St. Blaise), and to lead the St. Joseph Parish Community in blessing Father Maiki as he begins his new role as Parish Administrator. This month has taught me so much about our ministry here in the eastern part of our Province and I am glad that I did not waste a single moment.

So as I begin my journey back to Fiji for another school year tomorrow morning, I look forward to working with my fellow Brothers in Formation (in Fiji) in the coming months, as the whole Province begins our discussions and preparations on our upcoming Provincial Chapter. Rest assured I will remain cooperative, responsive, and supportive in our deliberations. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the Members of the Provincial Government, as all of you prepare to lead us into this important gathering.

God Bless and Thank You for your never-ending love, support, and prayers towards my vocation.

 

Agradecimiento desde Massachusetts

por Marc Sherwin Roque sscc

¡Saludos muy cordiales desde Massachusetts! Al comenzar a reflexionar sobre mi experiencia de un mes aquí en nuestra Comunidad de la Costa Este, me gustaría en primer lugar expresar mi más profundo y sincero agradecimiento a usted (P. Provincial, Lane Akiona) y a los miembros del Gobierno Provincial por permitirme pasar un mes aquí en Massachusetts. 

Ha sido una experiencia increíble conocer la historia temprana y humilde de nuestra Congregación en los EE.UU. y también escuchar las historias vocacionales de nuestros hermanos jubilados. Ha sido una bendición unirme a ellos en la fracción del pan durante la Eucaristía y compartir una comida en la mesa, que cada día era verdaderamente vivificante. Todos los hermanos me dieron la bienvenida y me hicieron sentir como en casa. Eso también incluye visitar a nuestros hermanos fallecidos en nuestro cementerio aquí en nuestro patio delantero, fue agradable ir y decir una oración todos los días en el cementerio y dar gracias a Dios por los más de 90 hermanos que están enterrados allí. 

Fue estupendo visitar nuestras tres parroquias y hablar con muchos de los feligreses de la zona de Fairhaven-New Bedford. Mi corazón se llenaba de alegría cuando los feligreses me contaban cuánto habían impactado en sus vidas los Padres de los Sagrados Corazones, desde crecer con los Padres hasta ver a sus hijos recibir los sacramentos de nuestros sacerdotes... El agradecimiento de los feligreses era impresionante. Como nota al margen, no pude resistirme, pero... había un grupo de confección de rosarios en la parroquia de Santa María y tuve que pasarme y confeccionar rosarios con ellos. Se sintieron realmente inspirados por mi ministerio del Rosario y mis experiencias en Fiyi, y es una buena sensación que ahora me incluyan en las intenciones de oración de su grupo.  


Tengo que admitir que he sufrido durante mi estancia aquí. Es duro para mí ser testigo del frágil estado de nuestros hermanos jubilados aquí. Comprendo que esto forma parte de la vida y que todo el mundo envejece con el tiempo, pero es duro ver cómo las personas que sirvieron y dirigieron nuestra Provincia se vuelven tan frágiles. Con esta experiencia, espero y rezo para que la Congregación continúe proporcionando el amor y el cuidado tan necesarios a nuestros hermanos jubilados que han servido bien a nuestra Provincia.  

En general, mi experiencia aquí me ha dado la vida. Doy las gracias especialmente al padre Stephen Banjare, al padre Columban y al padre Maiki por guiarme durante toda mi estancia. Durante el pasado fin de semana, me sentí muy honrado de que el Padre Maiki me pidiera que pronunciara la reflexión sobre el Evangelio para las lecturas del domingo, que me uniera a él en la bendición de los enfermos (Fiesta de San Blas), y que dirigiera a la Comunidad Parroquial de San José en la bendición del Padre Maiki en el comienzo de su nuevo papel como administrador parroquial. Este mes me ha enseñado tanto sobre nuestro ministerio aquí en la parte oriental de nuestra Provincia y me alegro de no haber desperdiciado ni un solo momento. 

Así que, mientras comienzo mi viaje de regreso a Fiyi para otro año escolar mañana por la mañana, espero trabajar con mis compañeros hermanos en Formación (en Fiyi) en los próximos meses, mientras toda la Provincia comienza nuestras conversaciones y preparativos para nuestro próximo Capítulo Provincial. Tengan la seguridad de que seguiré cooperando, respondiendo y apoyando nuestras deliberaciones. Mis pensamientos y oraciones están contigo y con todos los miembros del Gobierno Provincial, mientras todos os preparáis para guiarnos en este importante encuentro.

 Que Dios los bendiga y gracias por su amor, apoyo y oraciones interminables hacia mi vocación.



No comments:

Post a Comment